As a One L, your first priority should be adjusting to law school and focusing on your studies. Law school grades are a consideration in legal hiring and different employers place varying amounts of weight on an applicant’s GPA. Because adjusting to the demands of law school can be very challenging, the National Association for Law Placement (NALP) prohibits law school career services offices from providing career counseling to One Ls prior to October 15. In addition, NALP also prohibits One Ls from contacting employers with respect to summer employment prior to December 1. (See NALP Principles and Standards). In October, the Office of Career Planning will hold a number of mandatory One L Career Planning Workshops. After students have attended a mandatory workshop, they may meet individually with a career counselor to discuss goals and strategies specific to the student's individual job search.
Although students may not meet with Career Planning counselors until they have attended a One L Career Planning Workshop in October, the Office of Career Planning recommends that you begin exploring your career options by attending Career Planning and Student Organization sponsored practice panels and events.
As you explore career options, it is important to keep in mind what is best for you and not your friends, classmates, or family members. There is a wide range of career options available to law school graduates and it is important to take the time to discover your niche. A few students are able to do this very early on in the process, but for many career planning takes much longer. Remember that career planning is a process and not a single event. In addition, career planning is not a one-size-fits-all process. What works for one person may not work for another.
- One L Job Career Development Orientation PowerPoint
- Types of 1L Summer Positions
- Timing of Applications by Employer Type
- Early One L Goverment Deadlines
- One L Workshop Make-Up Certification (full-time students)
- Evening Student handout
- Cover Letter Guidelines and Template
- Cover Letter Workshop
- Mail Merge Instructions (word)
- Mail Merge Cover Letter Template - Judicial Internships
- Networking Webcast
- Social Media in Your Professional Life Webcast
- Public Speaking for Law Students Webcast
- Working with Different Generations in the Workplace